Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Family Holiday



In the most recent years a lot of holidays were spent either in an airport or at a hotel in a different city. This year, family was my focus and it was the warmest, most cheerful holiday season that I've had in a while.

Thanksgiving:

Since it was just my Dad and I for the "stuff your face" holiday we voted against cooking a lavish meal and instead decided to give back to the community. Santa Barbara, California has a high population of homeless people. The town along with OrganicSoupKitchen.com open up a local VFW and turn it into a banquet hall for those less fortunate to come in an feast on traditional Thanksgiving food, while socializing and listening to live music. We were volunteers to help serve food, talk to guests and clean up. Firstly, I was amazed at how many people were taking time out of their Thanksgiving holiday to give back. I was especially impressed by those parents that brought their children with to help; what an important lesson to instill into your children at a young age. Secondly, I think I gained more from that experience than those receiving the free meal. I realized by actually sitting down and talking to them  that not all of them got to this life by drugs and alcohol, many of them actually have pretty impressive education and skill sets and hard times could happen to any of us. They appreciated conversing with someone that actually wanted to hear what they had to say, listen to their life story and talk about their future goals and dreams. I don't know where any of them are today or what they are doing, but I do know that I will always remember Thanksgiving of 2011 and always be grateful for what I have in life.

Christmas.
There is nothing better than aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, siblings and parents all being under the same roof. The familiar smells of staple holiday dishes (vegetable mornay). The traditions that are unique to your family (The shrine and birthday song) . The silly games and topics that always make themselves present at these sorts of gatherings (post it note and now Wii Dance). The after Christmas Thulis outing (Laser tag or Shedd Aquarium). At least for me, these things are what make it special and although my family is goofy, loud and full of characters, I love them dearly and am grateful for every single one of them being in my life.

No comments: