Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chicago, Chicago...


Since moving back to Illinois, I had the pleasure of experiencing downtown Chicago a little bit more than I have in the past. I am amazed and impressed by the free events that the Windy City has to offer during the humid summer months. For those of you that have the opportunity to spend some time here these are suggestions of what to experience.


1. Chicago sporting event (clearly, I'm speaking of Bears or Cubs game)
2. Anything at Millennium Park- free concerts, "The Bean", fountains 
3. Navy Pier. You must ride the Ferris wheel, if nothing else.
4. North Avenue Beach. It's a happening place with always a ton to do.
5. Walk the Magnificent Mile. At any time of the year it is magical. 
6. Fit in a Museum or two.
7. Pizza and Hot Dogs. Need I say more? 

On another note, a few things to remember. 
-  The "El" will get you where you need to go, use it! 
-  Ditka is God. We take our sports seriously and are the best fans in the world.
-  Pick a side (North or South)
-  No ketchup on hot dogs (although a lot of us secretly disobey this rule)


There is always something exciting about coming home to your home city after traveling a lot. I actually get butterflies when my plane flies into O'Hare and I get to see the Second City from the sky. As a Chicagoan, I proudly wear my sports apparel in other parts of the country (no matter how many years since we've won a World Series) and I enjoy having to eat my over cheesy pizza with a fork and knife. 

On State Street, that great street, I'd just want to say -
They do things they don't do on Broadway.
They have the time, the time of their life.
I saw a man, he danced with his wife.
In Chicago, Chicago, my home town.
          - Frank Sinatra


No comments: